1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Creative feeding and watering methods

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KingJamesIV, Jan 31, 2011.

1. KingJamesIV

KingJamesIV Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Indiana Pa
    I would like to see some of you feeding and watering methods for your chickens. My wife and I came up with some neat ideas that we are going to try with our chickens. I will get pictures on tomorrow and compare with all of you. THANKS [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one on the left is feed w/ crushed red pepper flakes and the one on the right is oyster shells. There is a third one for grit off camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The white spots aren't mold. The block is aluminum and its oxide is white. It is a tank heater from Tractor Supply. I has a thermostat in it so It runs when it needs to and there is no worry about shock or BBQ'd chickens [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what your ideas are! I'm new to chickens so I'll be following along!

3. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i have 2 little ones - so i reuse the plastic containers that baby wipes come in - just remove the top and screw onto the wall for an instant xtra feeder! i also made a water bowl for my month olds that i drilled holes at the top of the big plastic bowl and used zip ties to put an old plastic ice cube tray across the top so no-one could fall in the water - chicks are sorta dumb sometimes [​IMG] i am also thinking about taking the big dish soap containers from DHs work (enviro friendly soap) wash them out really good, then cut holes in them for feeders, use the handle to ziptie them to the wall?? i like to make my feed/water out of recycled stuff - i always go to the reuse center at the dump for old plastic container for xtra odds and end in case i get a new chicken that only need 1 little bowl for food and water for only a short time or for chicks or whatever!

4. KingJamesIV

KingJamesIV Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Indiana Pa
    Anyone else have any pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by