creative ideas needed...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by whatthecluck, Apr 1, 2009.

1. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    So I have this old sign board up above our nesting boxes, as well as a new railing that we are installing that we used a board to brace two crib railings together...and want to make a sign. Heres some pics. What should I write on these signs other than e - g - g - s lol. Its an 1810 restored coop....last in use in 1942 (dated newspaper shreddings I found in the nesting boxes when cleaning them out). I am picturing black letters or something neat on both signs as I love to come and sit up here and read in the sunlight with the gals. SO!
    What should they say? The railing is what you see as you come upstairs and open the coop door (door in the floor). Maybe a welcome sign or something?
    Heres pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and just because its cool...LOOK at the neat old turning fork I found under the perches!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    First I have to say that that is the most beautiful coop ever. I love this history behind it. It must be an amazing feeling to sit there looking around and wonder what all that coop has seen. Who has been in there and what birds lived there. Absolutely wonderful.

As far as the signs go...hmm...'Welcome to our home' maybe with small folk-art chickens and checks painted around it? Something about a 'hen party'? 'Live Simply so that Others May Simply Live' 'Happiness is a Full Coop' '____ Family Coop, est. 2009'

3. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Find out what eggs sold for in 1810 and then create a distressed looking sign, "Eggs- 5 cents a dozen."

4. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I have no idea what to tell you to put on your sign, but just wanted to share with you that my husband will be putting up a sign outside our coop that says "eet mor cowz" with a picture or cutout of a chicken doing the writing.

Payback is fair game after all....those cows have been giving it to the chickens for long enough.

I love the suggestions above though. The old fashioned feel of the coop plays to the a white washed sign with an older saying on it.

Maybe one of my favorites "Live, Laugh, Love", or "Decide to be Happy".

A lovely proverb about farm life and our domain over animals if you are religious?

Laney

5. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got to agree with Schroeder. Given the vintage, if not historic nature of the coop I'd want to have it filled with things that take you back in time when you walk in.

Just for fun I did a quick google image search for vintage chicken to see what would pop up. You might try the same to get ideas for signs.

If you're crafty you can print the outlines on a laser printer revered then iron them onto wood plaques to leave the imprint. Then just paint by numbers.. [​IMG]

Well.. That or draw it yourself and paint away.

Either way.. I LOVE the coop.. Not only is it huge.. It's classic.

6. whatthecluck

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    Quote:I really like the checks idea...maybe I will spongepaint those...and then write a ______Family coop est 1810 (year of house and barn) for one. I like "Simplify" maybe....

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

"The Rooster may crow but the Hen delivers the goods!"

"Barnyard Dance - Saturday nights 6:00 P.M."

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  8. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    What an beautiful barn. Those are some lucky chickens!

9. whatthecluck

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    Quote:I like this alot though googling I cant seem to get a concrete price...I am seeing anywhere from .12 to 2.50/dozen for different times/regions in the 1800s. Maybe I will just write .50/dozen but of course now it is going to make me want to research more. [​IMG]

10. whatthecluck

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    Oh my gosh "eat more cows" [​IMG] [​IMG] silly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by