Creative ladders ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sakmeht, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I was thinking of what I could use as a ramp and had an epiphany! Our backyard has tons of cutter bee boards that we picked up to edge our landscaping areas. I flipped one over and stuck it in the coop against the pop door and it would be perfect! Anyone try this before? The little holes would provide great traction, I would think. Any other creative ideas for ramps?

2. Brigala

Brigala Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    With the new laws saying that drop-side cribs can no longer be sold or re-sold, it seems like there might be a lot of people ditching parts of cribs. I have an old crib-side I think I might use as either a roost or a ladder leading up to the nesting box.

3. CacklingCarolyn

CacklingCarolyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Louisville, Ky.
    Quote:That sounds like an awesome idea!

4. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Very neat! My husband would kill me if I tore apart our crib - we'll end up selling it when our youngest is done with it.

5. Brigala

Brigala Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Quote:Check Craigslist and make a post offering to upcycle old now-illegal drop-side cribs into chicken coop parts. I bet you'll get donations!

6. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    My dh just made a ladder using some shingles left over from the exterior. put together a couple of rows and placed upsidedown, so they have a little ridge for footing. Not sure if they are using it . . . wish we had a little video cam at bed time. [​IMG]

7. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'm on the hunt for a vintage wood ladder which seems to be tossed out at the salvage yard often. They have nice wide bars and I can hang stuff from each side as well. Thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by