Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I would have thought the lack of front perches and narrowness would deter but the hens in this picture seem to think otherwise...

IMG_42861.jpg

I saw this on FB the other day....not sure I'd want my eggs smelling like rubber tho.

I would have thought the lack of front perches and narrowness would deter but the hens in this picture seem to think otherwise...
Think there is enough head room for a decent landing.

I should think they would be easy to clean.
Hmmm......I don't think so, unless they are easy to detach and dump.
One thing I really wondered about is how are they attached to that block wall?

@aart Guessing those who might choose to use tires would also put straw in the bottom which would deal with both smell and cleaning problems. I collect my eggs at least a couple of times a day, hard to imagine any smell transferring with no direct contact.

As my title suggests I had doubts about using tires as arranged but for different reasons. First cutting a tire is no easy feat, mounting would be a chore and the asthetics suck.

I did wonder how many hens this person had. There are at least 19 tire halfs and 14 birds in them, suggests a flock in the small hundreds? Also wondered how high the roosts are as those tires go up at least 80 to 100 inches. Maybe they are not nests rather substitutes for roost bars in which case horrid to even think about.

Nonetheless an interesting picture.

Back
Top Bottom