Creative people - I need your feedback and ideas!!

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hey everyone! Take a peak at the pic and help me! My goal is to keep my girls from smooshing themselves up against the window to the point that one gal had her comb get stuck and ripped off last night. I have 6 pullets and a combined 16ft of roost space but they all want that one window. Only 2 gals can be there(unless they go to the other side where the same exact setup is, and 4 gals can have window seats). Anyway, what can i place on the roost or whatever to keep them from smooshing up against the wire window?!

Attachments

• 74FEDD5F-2DE0-4723-A80E-3CDC163E5C7E.png
    74FEDD5F-2DE0-4723-A80E-3CDC163E5C7E.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • 085AB499-EFD3-46DC-ADAA-B5F303A726DF.jpeg
    085AB499-EFD3-46DC-ADAA-B5F303A726DF.jpeg
    931.3 KB · Views: 27
Hmmm. Are you sure that's what happened to her comb?
Regardless, you can put vertical 1x or 2x4s at the ends of the roosts to the top of the window framing.
Hmmm. Are you sure that's what happened to her comb?
Regardless, you can put vertical 1x or 2x4s at the ends of the roosts to the top of the window framing.
I’m pretty sure her little head got pushed against and when she pulled away, just enough of her comb got stuck and was ripped. I dont think another hen can pull a comb almost entirely off. It got ripped like it got stuck. She was fine at bed time. But yeah, both sides of comb ripped evenly. Hey Dobie, look what I just did. Tell me what you think…..

Attachments

• 88316847-F0AF-4401-99EF-D199BC2F8DAB.jpeg
    88316847-F0AF-4401-99EF-D199BC2F8DAB.jpeg
    710.2 KB · Views: 25
That should keep them happy, they can all have a window seat BUT. you DO know now, they are going to fight over who gets to sleep on the LEFT side of the window!! They can't help themselves, there always has to be some drama at bedtime!

You need to figure out exactly what she got her comb caught on there and make sure it does not do it again. Ie is there a nail sticking out somewhere or what? Now that all of them can get to the window, if it's a pinch point, now they all are at risk instead of just one or two at a time

Aaron

I’m pretty sure her little head got pushed against and when she pulled away, just enough of her comb got stuck and was ripped. I dont think another hen can pull a comb almost entirely off. It got ripped like it got stuck. She was fine at bed time. But yeah, both sides of comb ripped evenly. Hey Dobie, look what I just did. Tell me what you think…..
There isn't enough room to get off that high roost without crashing into the low roost.

There isn't enough room to get off that high roost without crashing into the low roost.
Without the low roost, it might be a bit difficult for them to get to the high roost too. Think they might hop skip and bop on down or that's going to be an issue when they do come off the high one?

Aaron

I have a similar style coop and it had never occurred to me that hens would prefer a window seat, though when I check on the coop cam at night they do sit at either end of the roosts where the windows are.

Should we run another roost parallel with the window so that everyone can get a window seat?

I have a similar style coop and it had never occurred to me that hens would prefer a window seat, though when I check on the coop cam at night they do sit at either end of the roosts where the windows are.

Should we run another roost parallel with the window so that everyone can get a window seat?
If you notice controversy like mine! Mine dont use the window seat at the other end! I think its because the one they fight over is the closest to my coop (house) where they were as chicks. I raised up one of the roosts lady night so its actually above the window seat and 4 of the 5 were up there last night. There was a little tiff about getting closer to the wall closest to my coop (house) last night, and, there is no window up there so, 🤷🏼‍♀️. I got them from TSC and assume maybe they are not 100%, lol. I dunno, we’ll see. Definitely gotta rearrange some things. Once i intergrade my injured pullet back into the flock of 5, i will add another feeder and waterer. I’ll also spend a lot of time with them for the first few days of reintegration. (Cause I dont already spend enough time with them now 😳) that’s sarcasm if you missed! I like them more than people. Just sayin’. Thanks woodworm! 🐓❤️

That should keep them happy, they can all have a window seat BUT. you DO know now, they are going to fight over who gets to sleep on the LEFT side of the window!! They can't help themselves, there always has to be some drama at bedtime!

You need to figure out exactly what she got her comb caught on there and make sure it does not do it again. Ie is there a nail sticking out somewhere or what? Now that all of them can get to the window, if it's a pinch point, now they all are at risk instead of just one or two at a time

Aaron
That window that has the cardboard is where it happened. Thats where all the bedtime quarrels happen. I put the cardboard up last night and also raised one of the roosts above the window. Having 2 running parallel were just close enough for pecking from one roost to the other to happen. Instead of all fighting over the window last night, 4 of the 5 were up high fighting to squeeze against a wall!! The other side of coop is identical and not once have they gone down the line! Theres a whole window at the other end i tell them. I think they are fighting over who is closest to my coop (house) where they spent 6 weeks in a brooder. They are only just about 16 wks old. 🐓❤️

Attachments

• 6E117C41-2020-484C-A45A-F9A3ADF9D7C2.jpeg
    6E117C41-2020-484C-A45A-F9A3ADF9D7C2.jpeg
    710.2 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom