Creative upcyclers- ideas to transform this freebie?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SoManyHats, Nov 10, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    My husband scored two of these boxes from work - they were going to throw them out. :woot

One I will be using as an interim brooder (grow out pen). I don't know what to do with the other. I am in need of isolation pens and breeding pens. How would you turn this into one of those two things?

Inside dimensions: 78 in. long, 42 in. wide, 26 in. deep.

This one has two partitions, which can be removed, as you can see one has been.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. kimmerjo

kimmerjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    Your ideas sound great!! You could also use it to store your feed in cans , coop tools anything :) love reusing and recycling! So far I have a total of $25 in my entire coop and run!!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Small isolation pen for quarantine, breeding, etc

4. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    Thanks, guys! I guess then my question would be how do I turn it into an isolation or breeding pen? I'll edit my original post.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Set it on end, place the divider half way, put 2 hardware cloth covered doors on it....two isolation cages.

Or leave it in the position shown, hinged hardware cloth lid, make a nest at one end and you have a broody pen.

6. SoManyHats

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA

Ooooh, broody pen. I need one of those too! Thanks!

7. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    I would tip it up on its side and add some legs so it is off of the ground and then as aart said, add the divider half way and add some hardware cloth covered doors. Use it as a broody box (add a nest box to one side) and isolation pen as needed. Maybe use one side for storage as needed. Or maybe its a good time to start breeding some rabits?

EDIT: just read you got two of them, I would do the same thing I just mentioned and just fasten one ontop of the other. Put some legs on it so the Top bin is comfortable to work in. Use something to frame out the front of them so there is a bit of meat to attach hinges and latches to for doors. I would also make sure that however the doors are attached, that I could still take out the divider on an as-needed basis.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Legs are a good idea...and it would probably work better to keep it horizontal.....depends on how much floor space you have, on end would work too tho to save floor space.

SoManyHats(great screen name!) I hope you post back here to show us what you've done!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Neat! we have a few of those... one we used as a brooder.. just put wire up the sides, another we built up and turned into a coop.. now ours are smaller not as long, more proper cubed shaped but many options there just think outside the box lol

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by