Creative uses for the incubator

zunruffled

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2023
Has anyone tried using their incubator to ferment things (yogurt, etc.) in, or as a dehydrator? I'm testing out using my spare incubator (50-60 egg capacity) to make natto black beans in one container, and wildly fermented black beans in the second one (see pics). I'm curious if anyone else has tried using an egg incubator for other purposes, and how it all went.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    579.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 5
I sprouted pepper seeds on top of my homemade incubator this spring while incubating a clutch of eggs. The peppers did really well. The eggs went pretty poorly.12 eggs set 1 survived, one piped and then bleed out the rest quit at different stages of development. It was my first ever attempt at incubating eggs. I discovered later that my cheap thermometer wasn’t accurate enough.

I sprouted pepper seeds on top of my homemade incubator this spring while incubating a clutch of eggs. The peppers did really well. The eggs went pretty poorly.12 eggs set 1 survived, one piped and then bleed out the rest quit at different stages of development. It was my first ever attempt at incubating eggs. I discovered later that my cheap thermometer wasn’t accurate enough.
Oh, so sorry to hear about the incubation gone wrong... I use a small digital thermometer inside the incubator, in addition to the built-in one, to try to avoid a potential accident.
The sprouting idea on top of the incubator is so cool - wish I could use it, but the lid on mine is dome-shaped, so nothing could sit on top of it.

As it turns out, the egg incubator worked very well as a fermenter - I made some tasty natto black beans, as well as wild ferment black beans in it. I fermented both types for about 23 hours (I could've probably taken them out a bit sooner than that), at 39 degrees C.

Now I'm experimenting with using it as a dehydrator - got some banana slices in, with the thermostat set at 40 degrees C.

Back
Top Bottom