Creative ways to store feed and supplies (that won't break the bank)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by turtlewomyn, Oct 26, 2011.

1. turtlewomyn

turtlewomyn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    So I got chickens in September and recently doubled my flock by taking on my neighbors chickens. My coops are outdoors and don't have any storage space so in various parts of my garage I now have two types of feed, BOSS, treats, oyster shell, grit, and DE (and of course ACV in my fridge). Does anyone have any tips for a creative and not too expensive way to store all these things in a waterproof, pest proof container near the coops?

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I bought metal pails from Home Depot that have lids and wire bails that come up and secure the lids. Mice chewed through plastic. The metal pails look lke garbage cans, but are smaller. 'm very happy with them.

3. downtown chick

downtown chick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    Plant City
    I have full size metal trash cans that store my feed. I also have plastic cabinets against the shed that hold extra waterers, feeders, brooder lights, etc.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I also have metal trash cans right outside the coop with bungie cords holding the lids o[​IMG]n. One can has laying pellets the other has BOSS>

5. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    We also use the metal trashcans and keep them right outside the coop door; one for feed and one for scratch grains. I need to get another one for the 50lb. bag of DE that is currently in my laundry room. Oh, and another for the duck's feed.

6. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    This is the first thing that comes to my mind.

plastic bag + rope

[​IMG]

7. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    Large metal trash cans are my main storage, can get over 200lbs per can, another thing that works really well is chest freezers, remove the locks and put a hasp with padlock on it. It will hold a lot of feed plus supplements etc.

Most mills want to sell a 500lb or more grinding order so 3 cans can hold a minimum order.

Jake

8. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    Add me to the metal trashcan crowd. Not exactly cheap (figure $25-30ea), but definitely work well.

[​IMG]

(Please do not look closely at the coops - they need paint badly![​IMG] )

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  9. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    i use the buckets that the pool chemicals come in. they have screw on lids and dont let moisture in. i just keep them in the shed next to the coop.

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    mice eat through plastic garbage cans [​IMG] I have been very lucky then I guess. I have stored food in a 50 gal heavy duty plastic trash can since I got my first dog!! I never have had issues but I will be changing them out to metal soon. This site cost me more money let me tell you my wife thinks I am nuts for all the new stuff I am doing Wow!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by