Creep Feeder area for Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aart, Apr 2, 2018.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did a search, didn't find anything.
    Maybe folks don't call it a creep feeder?

Anyway, integrated broody and her 2wo chicks today, this means taking down the wood and wire temporary wall that splits the coop and putting up the creep feed area so they chicks can eat and drink in peace, unmolested by the big birds.

Kinda hard to see the mesh, but it's 14ga 2x4 welded wire. Some of the strands are squeezed together to make adjacent openings a bit larger, plenty big for chicks up to 3-4-5 weeks. After that they should be able to fend for themselves....or I may fashion larger openings.

[​IMG]

Here you can see how the access door opens for me to reach in and fill the bin feeder.
    Missed it in the pic but the wire is a bit bent at the top edge to form a catch to keep it closed with a little wiggling.
    [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's pretty smart. I always just feed my non medicated starter and everyone eats it, never thought of a separate feeder.

MillersFarm likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They all eat the same feed, this is just a 'safe' area until the chicks learn to navigate the big birds.

4. WhatAboutBob?

WhatAboutBob? Songster

Sep 21, 2017
    Boyne City, Michigan
    My Coop
    That’s perfect! I need to make something similar for my chicks that may be hatching. The broody is still persisting. First week done, 2 more to go yet. I am expecting a hatch about the 17th.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It did kinda of upset mama at first,
    why I hung the little cage feeder on the outside, so she can drop some for them..
    .....but the big birds eat out of that too, SMH.

WhatAboutBob? likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: