we have a flock of 8 girls who are laying very heavily. Two days ago I gave them a very large bucket of creeping buttercup, Ranunculus repens. Yesterday I only got two eggs and today, none at all. I see online that "Fresh buttercup plants are toxic to grazing animals, who can suffer from salivation, skin irritation, blisters, abdominal distress, inflammation, and diarrhea. Fortunately, buttercup has a strong, bitter taste so animals generally try to avoid it if more palatable forage is available. Also, the toxin protoanemonin is not very stable and loses its potency when dry, so buttercup is not generally toxic in hay. Unfortunately, livestock occasionally develop a taste for buttercup and consume fatal quantities. It is safest to keep populations of buttercup under control on grazed pastures and offer plenty of healthy forage." do chickens count as livestock or would that refer mainly to ruminants such as sheep, goats, and cows, as well as horses? They ate it all up, but of course, chickens aren't that picky about what they eat. Will they get better? should I crush up some Rolaids with their next meal? (joke).