Creepy/crawlies on my face and in my hair

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debtrag, Nov 1, 2009.

1. debtrag

debtrag Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    North Central, Indiana
    Two days in a row I have reached in to get eggs out of a dog loo that my chickens lay in and have walked out with creepy/crawley itching in my face and in my hair. I can't see any bugs, yet I can feel something as close as crawling down my nose, they go away after I wash. My chickens look good and are not itching excesively, laying good, and don't seem bothered. Dusted dog house and slightly on the chickens with Diatamacious Earth (food grade) today hoping that helps. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Deb

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Go out tonight and check vent areas with a flashlight. You'll be able to see if they're infested... sounds like it.

3. debtrag

Mar 13, 2009
    North Central, Indiana
    Thanks, I'm on my way out now. Great, treatment for 39 chickens, time to butcher 10.

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    [​IMG]

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i had one of my girls recuperating from an attack of mites and lice last month. she was the only one with the reaction/problem and it doesn't always affect all the birds in a coop. some are just better groomers or take frequent dust baths to keep them in check.

but when i found out what it was that had affected her so badly it panicked me and i freaked out when i saw and felt the lice on me! reading up about them i was relieved that they are specific feeders of chicken dead skin, feather stuff, and will not feed on human hosts.

it still made me feel like things were crawling on me for days after i powdered her with the poultry dust. i didn't think DE was affective on external parasites so i bought that stuff too and it worked very well to get most of the bugs off her in an hour. the next day she seemed back to her usually self and was eating and grooming again.

6. debtrag

Mar 13, 2009
    North Central, Indiana
    What about their vents should I look for? They all looked normal but one has been following me around pretty regular and she may be trying to tell something. Will the eggs be O.K. when the hens are treated with D.E. bought from the Health Food Store?

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

8. debtrag

Mar 13, 2009
    North Central, Indiana
    Could what have come out of the dog house (itchy creepy crawlies) be affecting me and my significant other? Both myself and he other have itching and bumps (rash like) on our upper bodies. It doesn't seem to be contagious because the 6 yr old daughter sleeps with me and the 4 yr old son sleeps with him and neither one of them (knock on wood) have any indication of rash or itching. The chickens and ducks seem to be doing good though, need to check more thoroughly on them tomorrow.

9. PaintedGemsRanch

PaintedGemsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia
    From what I understand they are species specific. They can get on you but not live on you or bite you. Someone correct me if im wrong please!

10. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:I have had them crawl up my arm but no they won't stay on a human.

Now was there a dog in that dog gloo if so you could have scabies been a few years ago i adopted a free puppy that had mange.
    I let him sleep with me as he was so tiny "bad idea" as i got scabies from the puppy mange in dogs is scabies in humans.
    Doctor confirmed it me and my Dh both had itchy bumps on our chest, torso and on our arms and it was horrible.
    Scabies are microscopic and live and lay eggs under the skin and can be passed from one person to another.
    Your symptoms sound like ours a itchy rash if you think you have this go to your doctor he will give you something to kill them and instructions on how to get rid of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by