1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

creepy crawlies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wild things, Jul 25, 2013.

1. wild things

wild things Hatching

Jun 22, 2013
    We have a serious pest promblem. Slugs and all kinds of bugs are taking advantage of our vegtable garden and the plants just can`t another bombardement. Its like a warzone and i hate to say I am losing. I don`t want to spray pesticides becuase that eliminates the idea of my organic garden and that would be bad for the chickens. I`ve read that ducks will eat the vermin that are running wild in my garden but i`ve also read that unlike chickens ducks won`t come back home to roost. I have plenty of room to accomadate ducks and a their is a small pond nearby my house. My garden is moderatly large in size. What do I do??? When i go to sleep i feel like i can here those bugs munching away and laughing at my efforts. Ahhhhh, please help me!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

One of the ways to get rid of snails and especially slugs is to lay a piece of wood on the the ground at the base of the plants..... During the heat of the day the slugs exit for a cooler spot. In the afternoon grab up the piece of wood and thunk em into a coffee can.

Mom did that.... It works....

Good luck

deb

Oh and Welcome [​IMG] from the San Diego High Desert... LOL

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  3. wild things

wild things Hatching

Jun 22, 2013
    Thank you soo much perchie.girl!!! i put the wood down this moring all along the base of my plants and [​IMG]!! I check the piece of wood in the afternoon and their they are all slimy and slithering around on it. off to the coffee can they go! Good ridance! Once again thanks!

Wild things

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

LOL you are welcome sometimes the simplest solutions are the best....

deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by