(creepy?) way to get barren hen to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fritatta, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    My year old buff orp has never laid an egg. everyone else lays very well.
    She is very healthy (my fattest), gets to free range with the group, and appears to be the top hen.
    she is also the one who comes running to me when I am near, and crouches for me. I've seen that some folks reach down an give their tail a shake. so I started this.
    She loves it, then gets up and fluffs and shakes.

then it occurred to me, could the imitation mating of a rooster help make her lay?

crazy and a little creepy, but what the heck. anyone know if the presence of a rooster gives you better odds of not having a barren hen?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I usually rub their backs with my foot. They love it. Yes, it is simulated mating.

Won't make her though. She's either got the "plumbing" working or she doesn't.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    She's a year old and hasn't laid? Are you sure she doesn't have a massive nest somewhere? Maybe she needs a private detective to follow her for a day!

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

BOs tend to be pigs at the feeding trough and your fat little BO may not be laying because of that fat layer. Fat chickens do not ovulate regularly and some not at all. I culled all the BOs from my flock for this very reason....eat too much, lay too little, too eager to mate and had raw backs all the time. They are definitely not part of a thrifty, producing flock, IMO.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Lock her up, if you can in this heat, for a few days. Maybe you have already done the "locked in" test to see if she'll lay. Free roamers sometimes find creative spots to lay eggs anywhere except where you can find them. Agree on the "diet". Obese hens won't lay well.

6. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    aha! obesity could certainly be a factor. I am SURE she does not lay in a private nest. very sure. done the Private Eye work and I know who lays each egg.

Oh well, I will keep doing it and report back with results, even tho it doesnt look like it will work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by