Crele color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

How is this color "created?"

Or what color(s) would I need to produce it?

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Crele is wild tipe e+ (Red Jungle Foul's black breasted red) plus barring.In what breed you want it?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  3. Rare Feathers Farm

I was thinking Cochin...

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    start with a cuckoo and a partridge...

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The trueCrele color is Black Breasted Red + Barring.
    You can cross a Black Breasted Red Old English with a Barred Old English.

You could cross Partridge and Cuckoo and get color pattern close to Crele but it wont be the true color pattern because it will not have the wing triangle in the bow of the wing...

Old English Game Bantams as Bred and Shown in the United States. ([​IMG]1995)

Catlin (1991) describes how he made his own strain of Creles by crossing two Crele males with two unrelated Black Breasted Red females. From the mating all the sons were dark
    (intermediate) Creles and all the daughters pure Creles. By crossing first generation males and females he extracted some pure Crele males to go with the pure Crele females already obtained.
    Wolf (1991):

SIRE.....................DAM..................SONS.............................................DAUGHTERS
    Crele....................Crele............100% Crele.......................................100% Crele
    Crele....................B.B. Red......100% Intermediate...........................100% Crele
    Intermediate.......Crele...........50% Crele & 50% Intermediate.........50% Crele & 50% B.B. Red
    Intermediate.......B.B. Red......50% Intermediate & 50% B.B. Red....50% Crele & 50% B.B. Red
    B.B. Red..............Crele............100% Intermediate...........................100% B.B. Red

Intermediate
    In genetic term an "intermediate" male is heterozygous for barring (Bb). Females carry but one sex chromosome so a B- female would be called hemizygous; a BB (Black Breasted) male would be homozygous for barring.

Chris

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Crele Cochins will be hard project.You can start with Black or Partrige Cochins and mix with e+ Old English (not eb ) and when you have pure e+ Cochins mix back to Crele Old English.That will be lot of work.

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Well, I found some barred and I could probably find partridge, too............

8. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Quote:I love the Crele color. I think that would be a beautiful bird. Are you thinking Lf or bantams? I think it would be great project.[​IMG]

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:I love the Crele color. I think that would be a beautiful bird. Are you thinking Lf or bantams? I think it would be great project.[​IMG]

I was thinking LF but bantams are so much easier to house! [​IMG]

10. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Rare, that would definately be an awesome project. I much prefer bantam cochins, I just love the awww cuteness factor of bantam cochins lol. Anyway you have to keep us posted if you are going to attempt it or not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by