Creole Dorkings????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joyous, Feb 10, 2012.

1. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    I have eggs in my incubator from by Cuckoo Dorking single comb rooster, over my Rose Comb Red Dorking females. What is my next step to work on creole. I used a chicken calculator that said that most of these eggs would be cuckoo. Any experts? Also, I plan on only breeding for rose combs.

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yes the cross will be cuckoo, however both sexes usually will show some color on the hackles & on pyle zones of cockerels.

Breed the crosses back to Red Dorkings. Crele is the barring gene on a e+ chicken without any thing else added so you want chicks and birds that look same as the reds, except chicks will be a little lighter plus barring on the adults. Select males that show a full black breast other than the barring- a very common mistake or mislabeling crele are roosters with light breasts with little or no black.

Once you have true creles, you can use any reds as outcrosses from that point on as the only difference is one gene-barring.

They will be beautiful birds.

3. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks! Will do!

4. Scotbear

Scotbear Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    hi joyous
    how did you create or where did you get your cockoo dorkings.. LOVE THE DORKINGS...

5. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    Thanks! I got the Dorkings at Sand hill Preservation center! They are a small hatchery in calamus, iowa. Chicks are very healthy and robust!

6. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    [​IMG]
    My first sc cuckoo x rc red cross. waiting for more red chicks to find a great roo to breed these with.

7. heritagehabitatfarms

heritagehabitatfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    any updated pic's??? this is a cool project...

8. joyous

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    I will post some soon. I have four pullets and two young roos that are 3 months old that look like young cuckoo dorkings but actually have better form and type than their parents. 5 are rose comb and 1 is single comb. I also have 9 just hatched . I will save only the best hens out of these and breed them to a Red rooster. I am getting RC Red Dorking chicks soon, from which I will pick the roos. Needless to say, I won't have any creles until next year. I will take some pictures soon! Thanks for commenting, as I am very excited about this project!

9. heritagehabitatfarms

heritagehabitatfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2009
    clinton ar
    i love to follow projects and have a few myself lol... i really like one's like this because u can create a new color without going outside the breed...

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Actually the colour pattern you're shooting for is Crele not Creole.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by