Crest Genetics (for increase in cross)

Curnow

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 27, 2015
Breckenridge, Missouri
I'm not having much luck finding the answer to what I'm looking for, so hopefully someone with better grasp of genetics can help me out.

This is purely for my own backyard flock. For my own whimsy, and to build on certain traits I enjoy and find appealing.

I would like to breed toward a chicken that has a fairly large/fulll crest and larger full body. This is what I have so far and would like to know if future crosses will produce closer to what is typically thought of as crested.

1st cross was Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben roo over White Sultan hen.
This cross produced hens that are a bit larger than their sultan mother and are spangled. One has full poofy Sultan type crest, the other has more Spitzhauben type (tall, full Mohawk-ish).

2nd Crossing where those F1 hens (Spot & Dot) to English Orpington roosters (one blue and one mottled)

F2 I now have 2 beautiful roos from the cross. I really like the traits of this offspring. They are full bodied and fluffier feathered like the English Orpingtons. They have feathered legs. There crests of course are smaller. More like that you would see on a Crested Legbar, but a tad less conspicuous. One is blue (fox), the other muddy white (Grady)

My questing is....
If I cross either of these F2 (Fox & Grady) roos back to a F1 hens (Spot & Dot) will the crest of the F3 offspring be larger than that of the F2 roos. I would like to keep the larger/fuller body and decent egg size, so would rather not cross back to the sultans.

I also have a large barnyard mix red rooster with minimal crest, minimal leg feathering, muffs & slight beard (Deux). This guy is dark red (almost mahogany) and is F3 offsring of Spitzhauben. Not sure if I'm saying that right. His great grandfather was my Spitzhauben roo crossed with easter egger. Their son crossed to blue copper Marans hen. Their son crossed with Rhode island red hen. Rusulting in Deux.

I will try to attach pictures.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
If you cross your F2s to your F1s ypu will get 50% small crested chickens and 50% large crested chickens (these will breed true for crests). Their body size will decrease a bit sadly also it would be a pretty high rate of inbreeding if you cross them back to their own mother. So aim for crossing them to their aunt instead if you can.
With this new generation I recommend out crossing them to a full bodied chicken if you want to preserve the feathered feet I suggest a brahma. :)

Back
Top Bottom