Crested baby color stumping me...help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bunsnpupsnchick, Jul 3, 2016.

1. bunsnpupsnchick

bunsnpupsnchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    I'm a bit stumped on the color these babies might be. I think I've a gold laced for the first baby, but not seeing lacing on the feather...haven't found similar pic yet. Either black crested white or blue crested white polish for the rest. I'm thinking the darker ones are the black, but I know that blue can be light to dark really. Thanks for any thoughts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    How many toes do the ones feathering in black and white have?

The ones in pictures 5 through 10 are white crested blue.

The only color that matches the color of your first chick that Ideal offers is gold laced. The gold lacing should come in as it feathers in more.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  3. bunsnpupsnchick

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Pyxis...4. All of them. That was my first thought, possibly Houdan. The legs do have touch of dark at the knee, but missing that 5th toe. Plus, the beak isn't like the creve I have. It's like the polish.Least I'm not seeing it be the same. I know the creve & I think the Houdan's beak too are a bit different. It's subtle.This is the baby crevecoeur.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    If four toes, then they're white crested blacks :) It's common for black breeds to get in a few white wing feathers when they first feather out, and then they molt them out later.

5. bunsnpupsnchick

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Pyxis, thankfully for that...I'm seeing it with the creve. She had white feathers on the outer edge of her wings that are darkening up nicely. It's amazing how the color changes.

6. bunsnpupsnchick

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    It's possible for a blue to be just about black isn't it? Where is kind of dull...blue cast to it? That's how my one polish is looking. Also, can a silver laced have an all black head???? My other has that....not sure if the lacing on the head will come later or not. No pic of them at this stage. lol Thanks so much for your help & info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by