Crested breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeffsmith13, Aug 3, 2014.

1. jeffsmith13

jeffsmith13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Billings ,Mo
    Looking for a crested breed suitable for confinement and easy to handle . Must be able to handle temps from 100 to - 10 . Any recommendations ?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Polish would fit your requirement the best of the crested breeds. They are very heat tolerant as long as they have shade, good ventilation, and plenty of fresh water, and quite cold tolerant as long as their coop is dry and protected from drafts. They are a pretty docile breed and do well in confinement. I've had Golden Polish in the past and kept them in enclosed runs. Only once did I ever have an aggressive Polish. He was a rooster named Ivan, and he was the most aggressive chicken that I have ever had, but he was clearly the exception and not the rule.

1 person likes this.
  3. jeffsmith13

jeffsmith13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Billings ,Mo
    Thanks for the reply, like the looks of the Polish and the many colors. I dont care about eggs , I have plenty of birds for that. I just like the looks of crested birds and want some eye candy. I want a bird thats easy to handle because chasing chickens to inspect them isn't much fun.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You could be pleasantly surprised by how many eggs you get. Polish are funny that way. Depending on the strain, some of them are quite good layers (4 eggs per week, although rather on the small side) and others are poor layers (maybe 2 eggs per week). I never knew what kind of lay rate I would get from my Golden Polish hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by