Crested Caracaras Anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by psycoforsilkies, Feb 15, 2012.

1. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Anyone have sugesstions for making my chickens, less tempting, I have a pair of these Crested caracaras stalking them. Yesterday they were circling and swooping for a look at the girls! I have not had any predator problems till now. I can't shoot them the are threatened or something. I guess since it is getting close to spring time they are migrating back in now.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I had to look them up

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Crested Caracara usually feeds on carrion, but they will take advantage of any food opportunity by eating small mammals, amphibians, reptiles, turtles, fish, crab, eggs, insects, worms, and nestling birds. Caracaras hunt live food on the ground or take food from other birds. [/FONT]

They don't sound like much of a threat to me, but if you've got silkies, they are little birds so might be at more risk than a larger chicken..

Pen your birds up. If the Caracaras are migrating, they will be gone soon.

3. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    from what I understand from locals here, they are migrating back here for the spring to raise thier young, and they like grassy pasture type land which is all around me I have Standard size hens , silkies, and babys i let free range i ma not so worried about my laying hens they are bigger and heavier than my silkies. hopefull we can get our birdnetting up for the silkies, right now i am not letting them out in the open area

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by