Crested Drake plucked bald, tissue showing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jlcollier1, Mar 13, 2017.

1. jlcollier1

jlcollier1 Hatching

Mar 13, 2017
    My other two drakes plucked his crest bald, down to the tissue I'm afraid.....What now??

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Separate the picked-on drake from any other birds. If there are any open wounds, apply antibiotic ointment (like neosporin) or another wound spray like veterycin or bluekote. Otherwise, he should be fine. The feathers will regrow in a few weeks or months. When the feathers are regrown, you can reintroduce him into the flock. If something similar happens again, though, you may need to rehome the picked on bird or his aggressors.

3. jlcollier1

jlcollier1 Hatching

Mar 13, 2017
    Thank you soooo much for responding. I have him ("Moe") separated, and out of the cold in fear of frostbite. I do have Blu-Kote. Wash it first? Or can I just spray it on? Is it possible the skin is gone? Sorry. I'm freaking out :/

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    If there is a lot of dried blood or dirt, I would wash the wound before applying bluekote. Just use some warm water, possibly with mild soap/shampoo in it. Without photos, it is hard to tell if the skin is gone. However, even if the skin is gone, the wound can still heal. Poultry (chickens, ducks, etc.) are great at recovering from injuries, provided no infection occurs.

5. jlcollier1

jlcollier1 Hatching

Mar 13, 2017
    Oh thank gawd [​IMG] Thank you again. I wasn't sure what the future looked like for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by