Crested duck with feather blocking vision.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kurtjackieprovost, Sep 11, 2011.

1. kurtjackieprovost

kurtjackieprovost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    [​IMG] Ollie, my white crested has a beautiful Hibiscus type feather arrangement sprouting from the base of his crest. One of the feathers is blocking the vision of the left eye almost completely. I've considered plucking it but its base is large and seems to be a bunch of skin, like a skin tag with feathers. I'm afraid it might bleed and will cause a bit of discomfort. I'm also not even sure how to pluck a feather. If I were to cut it then the end would be sharp and might poke him in the eye as the shaft curves toward his eye. Does anyone have a suggestion or opinion they care to share? I could post a close up picture of the feather base if that would be helpful. [​IMG] Thanks

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Cut the feather so that the shaft is too short to reach his eye. You can cut a feather just like you cut hair, but it won't grow like hair.

It will stay the same length that you cut it until it falls out and he grows a new one.

3. kurtjackieprovost

kurtjackieprovost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Good to know Oregon Blues. That's just what I'll do.[​IMG] Thanks for the info.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

It might bleed when you cut it but if it does it will stop, so don't worry if it does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by