Crested Ducks in SE Kansas

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmerJohn84, Jan 1, 2011.

1. farmerJohn84

farmerJohn84 New Egg

Jan 1, 2011
    Does anyone know where i can find Crested Ducks in SE Kansas? Are these a good breed for a beginner? I got a pair of goats about 2 years ago, and have now decided that I want to get some ducks and chickens and maybe a couple pigs. Maybe im getting in over my head but as a chef, i always prefer local food, and if I can raise it myself even better.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
  3. farmerJohn84

farmerJohn84 New Egg

Jan 1, 2011
    thanks for the info, i am however only interested in them for eggs, i dont plan on breeding any of the animals, just for eggs from the poultry, christmas and thanksgiving for the turkeys, and the 2 pig roasts we do each year with the pigs

4. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    I've read that some of the neurological issues can show up at any time after hatch. I am right now holding my Daffey who is totally normal EXCEPT his balance is so poor he cannot stand - never has been able to stand nor walk. He will be an inside duck always.

On the other hand he has some normal siblings. I didn't know that the ducklings that hatched might be or become impaired when I purchased mine.

As far as being good beginner ducks, if you don't plan on raising them, they should be fine. Mine are Rouen crested ducks from a hatchery. Other than the neuro issues they've been a lot of fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by