Crested ducks question

Ducklingguy

Chirping
May 3, 2021
North Carolina
Anyone here had a crested duck before? I was considering getting one, until I read they are prone to neurological problems. The stress of seeing a duck go through seizures or any other neurological ailment is too much for me.

I’m not sure though, this is true? I’m sure there are many crested ducks that live a good life.

What’s your experience with a crested duck, if you’ve ever had one???
Did / does the duck do okay? Have a productive life with good quality?

Ducklingguy 🦆

I currently have a male crested duck that I love to death. He is such a sweet heart.

When I first got him, along with my other ducks, it was a mix batch at TSC. I had no clue about the potential risks or the truth behind the crest.

From other posts, I seem to be lucky in having a crested duck with no issues and am grateful. I wouldn't trade him for the world. But I understand why people are wary of them and the issues they can have. Like mentioned in the previous post, I wouldn't specifically look for the breed, but if you stumble upon one that needs a home and are willing to give the care it may need, then why not.

Hope this helps :)

I received one as a packing peanut--he's cute and that crest is hilarious, but I'm constantly worrying about him. I read somewhere that if they can make it to the three-week mark with no issues that the likelihood of adult seizures drops. Mine is still a duckling, so all I can say is that he's doing alright so far, but after all the research I've done I would not willingly purchase one.

Anyone here had a crested duck before? I was considering getting one, until I read they are prone to neurological problems. The stress of seeing a duck go through seizures or any other neurological ailment is too much for me.

I’m not sure though, this is true? I’m sure there are many crested ducks that live a good life.

What’s your experience with a crested duck, if you’ve ever had one???
Did / does the duck do okay? Have a productive life with good quality?

Ducklingguy 🦆
I have three who are rescues and one can't walk well she has tiny eyes and has tremors and had seizures when she was little. My bantam crested is blind her eyes are huge and she just lays down like nothing is happing when in danger.. And my third just acts like she doesn't know what's happing most of the time. All of my crested have never laid eggs but sometimes crested ducks will. 82% of crested ducks have at least one symptom from cranial lipoma. I have had crested before this and they all have some issue.. They are prone to way too many issues and I would not suggest getting the breed. Even if the breeder is 'humane' they are still likely to get issues. Cranial lipoma is a deformation of the skull and the crest is a fatty tumor that protects the hole that it has caused, it can give them seizures, tremors, blindness, incoordination, abnormally small eyes, abnormally large eyes, convulsions, crooked body parts, abnormal changes in behavior and collapsing. If the crest is pulled that can also kill them they can also get symptoms later on in life as well. I do not recommend this breed to any novice duck owners and if you ever get one and are experienced I don't recommend supporting a breeder instead get one from a rescue or rehome.

I have three who are rescues and one can't walk well she has tiny eyes and has tremors and had seizures when she was little. My bantam crested is blind her eyes are huge and she just lays down like nothing is happing when in danger.. And my third just acts like she doesn't know what's happing most of the time. All of my crested have never laid eggs but sometimes crested ducks will. 82% of crested ducks have at least one symptom from cranial lipoma. I have had crested before this and they all have some issue.. They are prone to way too many issues and I would not suggest getting the breed. Even if the breeder is 'humane' they are still likely to get issues. Cranial lipoma is a deformation of the skull and the crest is a fatty tumor that protects the hole that it has caused, it can give them seizures, tremors, blindness, incoordination, abnormally small eyes, abnormally large eyes, convulsions, crooked body parts, abnormal changes in behavior and collapsing. If the crest is pulled that can also kill them they can also get symptoms later on in life as well. I do not recommend this breed to any novice duck owners and if you ever get one and are experienced I don't recommend supporting a breeder instead get one from a rescue or rehome.
Yes! This is exactly what I read.
I do like their looks and would love to have one, but it sounds stressful the worry if one has a seizure.

I have neurological problems myself, and I honestly can’t imagine a duck going through seizures without any medication. That is, if there’s no meds for them???
Human epilepsy requires a rotation of medication until one helps or buffers the condition.

On the other hand, I’ve seen many YouTube videos of ppl showing off their “what seems to be” healthy crested ducks.

Thank you and everyone for your inputs.

Ducklingguy. 🦆

Yes! This is exactly what I read.
I do like their looks and would love to have one, but it sounds stressful the worry if one has a seizure.

I have neurological problems myself, and I honestly can’t imagine a duck going through seizures without any medication. That is, if there’s no meds for them???
Human epilepsy requires a rotation of medication until one helps or buffers the condition.

On the other hand, I’ve seen many YouTube videos of ppl showing off their “what seems to be” healthy crested ducks.

Thank you and everyone for your inputs.

Ducklingguy. 🦆
There is no medication that can help them like human medication can, unfortunately. It's hard to tell by youtube videos on how those ducks really act since you aren't living with them. Seizures are very common in crested. You might want to look into rescue or ones who need rehoming who have a medical background so you know what to expect.

There is no medication that can help them like human medication can, unfortunately. It's hard to tell by youtube videos on how those ducks really act since you aren't living with them. Seizures are very common in crested. You might want to look into rescue or ones who need rehoming who have a medical background so you know what to expect.
If I were to get one, yea it would have some age on it and a medical history.

I figured there was no anti epileptic medicines for ducks. It’s not like they can pop a benzodiazepine to stop the seizures—or any other medicines their bodies could handle. I suppose vitamins and nutrition don’t hurt, but they will not stop a seizure. Perhaps buffer or keep the duck healthy enough to tolerate the seizure and the toll they take.

Well, anyway, thanks for the advice.

Ducklingguy 🦆

I never wanted crested ducks. - Then in 2019 i ordered ten ducklings from Ideal Poultry, five Buff Orpingtons and five Magpies. They sent me five Buff Orpingtons and five ducklings that looked more like Black Swedish ducks of which two were crested.
The one with the smaller crest has been named "Pommes" because her crest looks like she has a little »Pommes Fritte« (French Fry) sticking out of her head, the other crested duck was named PomPom for self explanatory reasons.
Both of them are healthy, active and very intelligent ducks and i love them to pieces! No signs of nerve damages, no seizures and so far no issues during mating.
Unfortunately the crest has spreaded: Though i did my best to prevent both ducks from procreating, they have managed to sneak at least two of their eggs into the nest of their broody sister and two crested drakes hatched.
The smaller of my crested drakes is named Pomponel and has the typical statue of a meat-duck, short legs round and large body and he is waddling like a Pekin duck.
The other one, LeRoy Brown is the largest of all my drakes. He has the statue of a runner duck, but is Pekin sized. He is bright and fast and stole my peanut-butter sandwich from a 3' tall table and shared it with his girlfriend Darkbill Duck. (That's when he got his name)
Here's a short video of LeRoy with his girlfriend Darkbill helping me with one of the veggie-beds. Drake with no Name has joined them.
I consider myself lucky that the few crested ducks have no health issues, i too heart some terrible stories. I will do my best to eradicate that crest gene in my flock, but i just love my crested ducks and drakes.

Back
Top Bottom