Crested Ducks

tracyb2109

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
TX
Hello! I am new to BYC and to raising my own chickens. About 4 weeks ago I received my shipment of chicks (4) and a duckling that the hatchery threw in. I know nothing about ducks but no problem, I am happy to raise the little guy with my chickens. As time passes it never learns to walk, its always stumbling around to the point that I was worried something was wrong with it and took it to the vet. I have now learned about crested ducks and their neurological issues and understand that my duck will never be able to walk normally but he does really well in the water and the vet assured me that it is in no way suffering. I am just wondering if anyone else has had an experience with this or can offer any advice. Its so sad to see him constantly stumbling around and eventually after falling over so many times he will give up and just lay on his back. He seems happy and I was planning to let him live in my backyard where he has a pond to swim in but a couple of days ago my chicks and the duck were in a kennel right outside my office window and a hawk swooped down and grabbed one of my chicks out of the kennel! So I am also worried now that an even full grown but injured duck will be a target and that he should remain locked in the chicken coop with my chickens. Anyone with experience or knowledge of crested ducks that could offer some advice would be much appreciated!!!

Ducklings are also prone to niacin deficiencies which can cause some of the same symptoms. Unless you have an avian vet, I think you will do better asking advice from other duck breeders. Please post on the "Duck thread," in full detail.

Also to protect your chickens and duck - please put a cover over the run so nothing will swoop in and grab them. With hawks and other predators around, it's not really safe to let them free range. When colder weather comes and they cannot find food, predators get very desperate and will attack anything, wherever it is. People have had pet dogs grabbed (in cities) even though the dog was leashed. Ducks like to spend a lot of time in water - so I don't think yours would be unhappy about being clumsy on land,

welcome-byc.gif

Hope you continue to have a wonderful time here! We're glad to have you join us!

He's a cute looking ducking!!
love.gif
I wish you all the best with him!

Welcome to BYC!

I've had a hatchery add extra chicks to an order of chicks but I didn't know they would add a duck to an order of chicks. It's good to know that the possibility exists.

Here's a link to help you get to the Duck forum if you haven't found it yet:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with your little one, he is a cutie!

Back
Top Bottom