crested ducks..?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ashleyy_x3, May 20, 2011.

1. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    alright soo i happen to think crested ducks are soo adorable, and have been thinking about ordering some hatching eggs from some crested ducks, but here my question, are crested ducks harder to hatch out? and do they tend to have more health problems or neurological problems or fatalities or anything like that? also, what actually IS the crest? is it just a tuft of feathers, or is it like a growth from out of the head thats covered in feathers? [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If you like them- It may be wise to get just one sex- and breed them with a non crested breed. A double dose of the gene is lethal to developing embryos. So yes...because of that they are harder to hatch. The crest is caused by a whole in the skull- fatty tissue protrudes out causing the crest so yes they are more prone to neurological problems.

3. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG] ohhh thats scary! i wasnt completely sure on the specifics of the crest, but now that i know its caused by a hole in the head and a build up of fatty tissue i thinkkk i will re-consider getting crested ducks. that just sounds like trouble waiting to happen [​IMG] i want my duckies to be as healthy as they cann, i guess i wont jeopardize their health for something that i think "looks cool" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by