crested ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickendales, Jul 31, 2011.

1. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    im just getting in to white cresteds i have 2 girls one has nice crest one crest is small if i buy male with large crest should i keep both girls

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I don't think you should buy the crested drake if I remember right two crested genes means the the offspring will die in the shell. since your ducks have crests you know that they both have one crested gene If mated to a non crested drake 50% should have crests. If mated to another crested you should get 25% plain, 50% dead in shell and 25% crested. If I am wrong I am sure someone will point out the fact.

3. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:I don't think you should buy the crested drake if I remember right two crested genes means the the offspring will die in the shell. since your ducks have crests you know that they both have one crested gene If mated to a non crested drake 50% should have crests. If mated to another crested you should get 25% plain, 50% dead in shell and 25% crested. If I am wrong I am sure someone will point out the fact.

that about right i just found thay some where

4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I have also heard not to breed two crested parents as the offspring will be deformed or dead.

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I've incubated over 20 eggs from my Crested ducks (Crested over Crested) and I have only had 1 hatch!
    So I would suggest on getting a drake that doesn't have the crested gene.

6. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:from what i read u sould proble go get some blue swedish with out crest to breed to ur birds

7. kurtjackieprovost

kurtjackieprovost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Are you planning on breeding crested? I am keeping a male and female crested. There isn't a reason not to keep them, just don't let the eggs hatch. I really enjoy my fluff ball ducks.

8. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:yes i plan to breed

9. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:from what i read u sould proble go get some blue swedish with out crest to breed to ur birds

chickendales are you answering your own question above? Why blue swedish? you said in the original post that your ducks were white crested, Swedish have white bibs but the main body color is blue, black, or splash. If you fancy a duck with a bib that is your concern, but if you like white crested birds I would think you would want a white drake. Your birds, your choice! ~gd

10. kurtjackieprovost

kurtjackieprovost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Quote:yes i plan to breed

On Metzer's website, he claims that he hasn't found the same percentages of loss/deformaties in his white crested to hold true. He also touches on crest size/location for best breeding. Check it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by