Crested Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ~goingcluckcrazy~, Oct 23, 2011.

1. ~goingcluckcrazy~

~goingcluckcrazy~ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    I am interested to know peoples experience with theese! Here are some outline questions

1. What are there genes like as such? like can you breed crested to crested? I read somewhere you cannot its lethal?

2. Hatch rates what are yours like?

3. Are they friendly?

And any other info you have!!
    Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. ~goingcluckcrazy~

~goingcluckcrazy~ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    No one has crested ducks?

3. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Fattie had some really nice ones.. Not sure if she still does. She knows alot about them and can probably help you. I know NOTHING about Crested ducks...

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    You can breed crested to crested - but yes it can be fatal to developing ducklings. Those that inherit the gene from each parent will die before hatching. The gene itself is incompletely dominant- basically that means that it doesnt always get passed on.

Breeding with a drake who displays a crest i have been getting 2 crested ducklings out of six hatched, with a huge difference in the size and position of the crest. Pretty much all the eggs I set are hatching- the rate not different at all from eggs set from non crested ducks/ drakes.

I have a crested Runner- you can get cresteds varieties of most breeds of ducks, so you can get a little variety in their character and temperament depending on the breed.

[​IMG]

The crest on this duckling looks a good size- but as the duckling grew- the crest seemed to increase in size at a greater rate. It ended up a very large crest and grew more over one side than the other- but didnt have any effects on the duckling. I have another now with a perfect crest- but when hatched it was very small- something to watch for when breeding cresteds - as if to large they can impede on the sight of the duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by