Crested ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by barredmuscovy, Mar 1, 2014.

1. barredmuscovy

barredmuscovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    I have bought 3 Rouen crested ducks and I have 3 white crested tell if you think they will breed with my whites please also post pictures of your crested ducks and discuss

2. Shikoba70

Shikoba70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    Hopefully they won't breed !! You should not breed crested to crested, please research this before you allow them to brood. I know there are links on here from previous discussions on this. Please search the history , other BYCers may be able to post a link

3. Shikoba70

Shikoba70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
  4. barredmuscovy

Feb 22, 2014
    O really I have for 5 years they always have monsterous crests and have won NE state fair for 2 years I haven't taken them though cause I show mostly market beef.

5. barredmuscovy

Feb 22, 2014
    Ok but I have hatched them before and have taken them to state fair and they all got reserve both years I haven't bred them for a while but I'm confused it has worked before with mine. Just a gifts from god I suppose they have crests the size tennis balls. I will just stop doing that and just breed with standard Rouen ducks thanks so much.

6. eggsellentfarms

eggsellentfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon

While breeding crested to crested was definitely not recommended, the quote in that discussion was taken out of context and misapplied by many posters. With responsible breeding you shouldn't have to worry about the deformities and neurological problems.
    Sounds like you just need to get a couple non crested into your flock for breeding.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. barredmuscovy

Feb 22, 2014
    Yes I only have 3 crested ducks now a friend bought the Rouen crested from all my ducks except for 3 are non crested and they will get bred with the blue Swedish and Rouen's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by