Crested, Feather footed Mutant Girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by augustiner05, Aug 22, 2011.

1. augustiner05

augustiner05 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Hello all!
    This little chicken is 3 months old and belongs to a friend of a friend. Her preschool class raised it from an egg. I think its a girl, but what do you all think? Also what do you think its parentage is? It is crested, and has feathers on its feet. It also has double toe that you can see in the last picture. I was thinking of bringing her to my house where 'she' can be with other chickens and have a yard to run around in. But is the extra toe an indication of inbreeding? Also 'she' came from a brown egg if that helps with her heritage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Some kind of Silkie mix.

3. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    She is a silkie mix, the extra toe is from the silkie parent... If you brought it to your house it will be ok, i think it a girl.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Silkie mix pullet.

~ Aspen [​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    It is most likely a Silkie mixed with a "Red" bird (ex: Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire) or maybe some other Partridge variety. Here is a White Silkie x RIR cross I hatched in the past. Hope this helps [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. augustiner05

augustiner05 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    arent silkies small? she is the size of the rest of my standard breeds when they were 3 months. do silkies lay white eggs? Bad or good layers?

7. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    I agree with the Silkie mix. Hence the 5 toes, black skin and top poof [​IMG] Silkies are a small bantam breed but shes probably getting her size from the other parentage. Silkies are sweetie things [​IMG] Silkies tend to not be good layers because they get rather broody... but Not sure what her mix is. But she sure is a pretty thing!

8. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I'm going with silike x ee. very pretty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by