1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crested getting her crest pulled out!! :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by klauren, Mar 2, 2014.

1. klauren

klauren New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    So I have 3 ducks, an Anacona female, a crested female, and a crested male. They all get along very well but my crested female is getting all her crest feathers pulled out by the other 2 ducks when mating! They are almost all gone now and she has short stumpy feathers and a bald spot on top of her poor head:( Is there anything I can do to stop this? I don't really want to separate them because I'm worried she will get depressed but I'm equally worried that she will get seriously hurt. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks for any advice,
    Signed
    concerned duck momma

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    From what I understand there is no skull under neath that layer of skin where her crest feathers were and if they break open the skin on her head which will be next since the feathers are just about go, she is going to be in serious trouble. Bacteria will be able to enter plus her brain matter will be right there, for her own protection you need to put her and another female in a separate place till mating season is over. Or your going to have a bigger problem than her being depressed. Or place her right next to the male and females so they can all still see each other but she isn't being abused.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. klauren

klauren New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Miss Lydia I have seen my female Anacona climbing on her and pulling her feathers out as well when they play in the pool together, if I separated them from the male do you think the female would still do that? There is a chicken pen right next to the duck pen and they would be able to see each other just fine through the chicken wire, Im just not sure if I should keep the females together or just put my crested with the chickens and keep the other 2 ducks together.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't put your crested in with the chickens, anything out of the ordinary draws chickens so they very well may peck on her head. I know they are crazy this time of year, I just had to go out and pull a goose and gander off one of my Muscovy ducks, As far as keeping the females together don't give them any water to get into for a couple days so the Ancona isn't trying to play the mating game with your crested. Maybe a few days without swimming water will calm things down a bit. But don't put your drake in with the chickens or he may try to mate with them, You might try putting both ducks in with the chickens and see how it goes but I think it would be better to do both ducks than just the one, or she'd be odd man out. You'll just have to watch and see how your chickens react to having them in their run. And how your Ancona acts towards your crested too. They can make things so difficult . [​IMG]

5. klauren

klauren New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    I think I will just move the girls into the chicken coop tonight after the chickens are asleep, they seem to take to new animals better that way. Also the ducks used to live with these chickens before we built them their own pen so hopefully they will play nice.
    -crossing fingers-

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Let us know how it goes.. [​IMG]

7. klauren

klauren New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    I put both girls in with the chickens and they are doing fine, Roccos crest is growing back already! :)

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] great news and I'm sure the girls are much happier too, and you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by