Crested Larger Breeds

protodon

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Nottingham,PA
I was interested in getting some Polish Chickens. I'm actually not sure if they are usually bantam, larger or both but I was wondering if there are any crested large breeds that aren't silkies?

And follow up question is if I crossed a Polish with a different breed, how inheritable is the crest?

I guess there are Polish bantams, but there are standards, too -- they aren't huge, the hens run around four to four and a half pounds. There are also Houdans, which are heavier -- hens are supposed to weigh six to seven pounds (a dual-purpose breed) -- and the Crevecour, with hens around six and a half pounds.

Crests are somewhat inherited -- if you are crossbreeding crested birds to non-crested, the crests will get smaller, but not disappear entirely unless you cull them out. Or you can breed them back in if you want them. There are several breeds that have tiny crests or tufts on their heads that obviously have some crested breed in their background.

Kathleen

Yeah, that's basically it. Most common crested birds are found in large fowl minus Silkies. LF Polish are really pretty small, and make the banties look even smaller. Sultans are smaller than Polish, in both bantam and LF. Haven't owned any other cresteds.

I'm not skilled in genetics, but much of the time if a crested bird is crossed with a non-crested bird, the offspring will yeild a crest in some form or another. It would be smaller than the parent's, but it is usually there. From what I've heard, after a few generations the crest can be bred out of the bird.

There are many large fowl with crests.
wink.png

Houdans! I can't recommend them enough. They are great dual purpose birds (meat and large white eggs) and they have crests, and are docile like polish.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom