crested... maybe blue swedish?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zzGypsy, Oct 30, 2011.

1. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    so he's pretty, but we don't know what he is. he's a good steel gray with just a bit of darker lace edge, a few flecks of white on his chest and a really nice pouf. he's as big as my cayugas.

just not sure what he is besides crested. I'm thinking blue swedish without the bib...
    your thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so what do you think?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I think they are lovely, [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Half khaki campbell half crested blue swedish im geussing. Where did you get him?

4. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I say mixed breed as well. [​IMG]
    What breed are the 2 pale ones with dark bills in the upper left corner on the second picture? [​IMG]
    They are stunning! [​IMG]

5. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I Love his look!

6. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    he's got the heavier body type and body carriage, same size as my rouen drake. In these photos I can see the darker head coloring, outside in the sun he looks a pretty even color all over. maybe some khaki in there... but definitely not khaki sized. I'm thinking mix is correct...

there's some folks here locally who buy the big batches of birds - 50 or 100 of chickens, turkeys, ducks, guineas - from one of the hatcheries. I didn't ask which hatchery they ordered from, but they order a bunch and then sell them. the khakis in the photo and the small rouen hen are from them also. I asked about the breed on this guy and they shrugged and said "crested". apparently they order a mix of ducks and don't specify which ones.

the light colored ducks we've decided are Silver Appleyards - we're discussing that over here (with more photos): https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=591503&p=1
    I bought them from someone else (there's a drake too) as appleyards, but then thought they might be welsh harlequins because the hens have dark bills. but they're big, so we've decided they're very pretty, but not very correct, silver appleyards.

7. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I just love his dark blue head! [​IMG]

8. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:I do too... I didn't really need another drake, but he caught my eye. now, you know, I'll have to get him some girls, because we're drake rich...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  9. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:I do too... I didn't really need another drake, but he cought my eye. now, you know, I'll have to get him some girls, because we're drake rich...

LOL I'am too! [​IMG]

10. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Quote:I am pretty sure they are female Welsh Harlequinns......some of THE most gorgeous ducks, in my opinion......and I don't even have any!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by