Crested pekin can't see

badenglisch

Chirping
Oct 23, 2018
Iowa
One of my pekin's crests is a little bit wild and unruly and almost completely covers one of her eyes. Is our best bet to just catch her and trim it back?
IMG_1702.jpg
IMG_1705.jpg

People trim back their polish chicken’s crests because they get eaten by predators if you don’t—they just can’t see. They also put them up in ponytails but I’ve heard that they fall out. I would trim if I were you! She’s really pretty and cute by the way :)
I thought about doing a pony tail, which i think would look awesome , but I'd be worried about it falling out and one of them eating it. I get nervous with the scissors that close to her eye, so i think I'll need to be the holder and let hubby trim. She won't be one bit happy about it either

I thought about doing a pony tail, which i think would look awesome , but I'd be worried about it falling out and one of them eating it. I get nervous with the scissors that close to her eye, so i think I'll need to be the holder and let hubby trim. She won't be one bit happy about it either
Yeah if they eat it it wouldn’t be good! And it would be a good idea to have somebody imobilize her head for you.

I have a crested with one to the side, not as bad as that. Had some stray feathers that would get in her face. I would cut it but be careful and only cut what's necessary because in my ducks at least, the feathers are very dense so you don't want to catch it's skin.

Thank you for the advice everyone! I'm nervous about trimming, I'd hate to go too short and hurt her. We tried once before and i was pretty conservative and didn't really end up cutting that much. I have this image in my head of it being like cutting a dog's nail too short lol
Is it just feathers or is there a vaulted skull? Just feathers I cut like it's hair marking sure my fingers are between the scalp and the feathers.

Back
Top Bottom