Crested pekin

wbjdmd

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
I hatched 6 pekins on monday. All look normal but one looks like he is crested. Is this possible and can you really tell this early. A friend told me he look like he just slept wrong and his feathers were sticking up but they have been that way since soon after he hatched!

From Holderread
The crest is caused by a dominant mutatuion that has shown up with relative frequency throughout recorded history. Typically in any breed of Mallard descent, one duckling with a crest will hatch out of every 100,000 to 1,000,000 eggs hatched. Today in some European countries, crested versions of most breeds are bred and shown.
Looks like your duckling is one in a million!

Does anybody have a photo of a crested pekin duckling? I have searched the site and not been able to find one. Wow, wouldn't you know it, I blow my one in a million odds on a duck instead of a million dollar jackpot!

Hi!
Here you go!

299005497.jpg

smile.png

Lisa

Awesome! Thanks. I will try to take one of mine this weekend so everybody can weigh in with their opinion.

I know you can't see very well but I had this photo at work. This is a picture I took within the first 24 hours after hatch. What do you think?
DSCN0724-1.jpg

Ok so..... Anyone else out there have crested pekins? I have a female I bought at a year old and she is so beautiful that I want more. But it sounds like hatching them is sheer luck! Really??? If I breed her to a non-crested could I get a 25% hatch of crested with a 25% non and the other 50% carriers?? Just wondering and hope someone out there knows!

If you breed, it is imperative that you do so with a non-crested duck to avoid problems... there are several threads on this site regarding, just do a search.

Back
Top Bottom