Crested Pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnitaE, Mar 20, 2015.

1. AnitaE

AnitaE Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Jena, Louisiana
    I am thinking about getting a couple of crested pekin ducklings(female)and I was just curious as to what their temperments are? I have geese and chickens but I have never even been around ducks. Are they personable like my geese and chickens? Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    From what I have read, they have lovely personalities. One needs to be aware that they can be susceptible to neurological problems, so if getting ducklings, I would be sure to add a tablespoon of brewer's yeast to their food once or twice a day.

There is a thread about crested genes here somewhere - you may want to look at that by searching the archives.

3. AnitaE

May 4, 2008
    Jena, Louisiana
    Thanks! I add Brewers Yeast to my goosling food too :) Now I'm off to look for that crested thread.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    1 person likes this.
  5. AnitaE

May 4, 2008
    Jena, Louisiana
    Yikes! I didn't know all of that!! Might be rethinking this then! Thanks for the info!

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Seems to me if you want to breed ducks, you would want to avoid those with crests. But if you just want to have them for companionship, I think they would be just fine. Just start them out with very good nutrition, especially B vitamins.

7. AnitaE

May 4, 2008
    Jena, Louisiana
    I don't plan to breed at all...I don't even want a male...just 2 or 3 femailes :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by