Crested Polish being pecked

roz

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
MA
Hi there,
I'm not sure if I picked the right category. We are new to the chicken seen. We picked up 11 pullets (18 weeks old) a couple of weeks ago, and agreed to take a crested polish with a bum leg and bald head to see if it did better in a smaller flock. She was getting pecked, but yesterday her head looked as if the feathers were starting to grow back (the base of them) and this morning the new growth has all been pecked off of her. The other pullets bloodied her tail feathers yesterday too. I have her separated within the run, but from what I've read, the polish crested are common targets for other breeds. Should I try to rehome her? If so, how do I find someone to take her where the same thing wont continue to happen?
Thanks,
Roz

Polish crested are frequently picked on, partly because of the large crest, partly because they tend to act timid or easily frightened. With a bum leg, She will probably continue being picked on until she grows her crest part way back, even by other Polish.
You should keep her separated for sure, and if you want to rehome her, the best place would be with other Polish crested. I've had lots of success rehoming about 8 cockerels and one pullet over the last sizx months.
If you list her on this site, sooner or later, you'll probably cross paths with someone local who will love her & put her in with others of her breed. She may still be picked on a little because of the limp. She'll learn to fly away.
If you also seek to rehome her to a flock with only silkies, or mixed silkies/Polish, you'll be putting her in with some birds she can fly away from if they pick on her. My flock is 1/3 silkies, 1/5 polish, and the Polish typically just perch higher to escape repeated pecking.
One feeder is hung high, one low.

Hope this helps
smile.png

I should add, when you list her, make sure the title has Pullet, Loving Home, and your area

Specify everything you want, such as type of flock for her to be with. The ball's in your court, since you've got a crested, female, sought-after breed
smile.png

Also, your question would probably go under "Chicken behavoirs and Egglaying"

Last edited:
when pinned up my hippie chickens bald one another from bordem and sometimes mites. I give them styrafoam to keep them from getting boared. I use livestock dust for mites. I notice that top knots do it more than any other chicken i have so i let them free range now. good luck

Back
Top Bottom