Crested Polish- male or female?

hilaryeve

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
Near Boston, MA
I just received this sweet little chicken along with a silkie, frizzle cochin, and Mille de Fleur. My other chickens did not mind too much, but my rooster seems to be very annoyed with the Crested Polish. I am not sure on age, other than born some time in the spring. I can't tell if it is male or female, but if it is male I am going to take him back to the farm and get a girl. I don't need bloodshed in the coop!

rooster, hen have more of a round puff.

here is a hen, though she has a small puff, it gives you the idea of the shape of the crest on a polish hen

Last edited:
Shoot! That is exactly what we thought. There are tons of feather quills or whatever they are when we see new growth coming up near the middle back of the head. It looks like the "poof" will double in size. Isn't that more hen-like? At this point I am just wishful thinking. I seriously don't want to introduce yet another new bird to the flock. Thanks for your help. Keep comments coming so I can show my husband.

Shoot! That is exactly what we thought. There are tons of feather quills or whatever they are when we see new growth coming up near the middle back of the head. It looks like the "poof" will double in size. Isn't that more hen-like? At this point I am just wishful thinking. I seriously don't want to introduce yet another new bird to the flock. Thanks for your help. Keep comments coming so I can show my husband.

It will look somewhat more rounded once those feathers grow in, but it won't look exactly like a hen's crest. Female Polish have rounded tips on their body and crest feathers, while males have pointed saddle (back), hackle (neck), tail, and crest feathers. You can clearly see the pointed crest feathers on this bird; therefore, it is a rooster. You can also see the thin, pointed saddle feathers and some pointed hackle feathers on your Polish, which are more rooster signs.

I agree with everybody else, he's a rooster. Even if his crest gets larger and poofier, it still has pointy feathers. Males can have quite large crests, but if their crest feathers are pointy, they are still males. Its not just the crest that makes me think that your bird is a male. He also has darker coloring on the wings (females are usually an even shade), and I'm beginning to see hackle and saddle feathers (pointy, longer feathers on the neck and near the tail).

Back
Top Bottom