Crested Swede egg really small?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Angsminizoo, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Angsminizoo

Angsminizoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Meade Co. Ky.
    I have a crested swedish that layed her first egg today and it is a little smaller than a normal store bought chicken egg. Is this normal? My other 2 females are pekins so I am used to extra large egg and this one looks tiny in comparison. Also any advice on trying to hatch her eggs, anything I should know about crested? My males are 1 pekin and 1 cayuga.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    If you dont have any other crested drakes you'll be ok. Im getting a crested khaki campbell today. And I have a non crested khaki campbell drake so I cant wait to hatch me some crested khakis. If you want to know a bit more about crested breeding please check out my other thread. It doesnt have.much info on crested, but a ok amount.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=572267

Hope it helps!

3. Angsminizoo

Angsminizoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Meade Co. Ky.
    Quote:Thank you that does help. I had heard of problem with hatching crested but was not sure of what it was so yes this helps and I can't wait to start hatching and see what I get no matter crested or not, my cayuga is very fond of my crested so that could turn out interesting. [​IMG]

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Yes that could lol. I cant wait to try and hatch some crested khakis! I heard crested khakis and other breeds beside white and pekin are VERY rare. So I cant wait. I hope thing go well you way!

5. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:not nearly as rare as they used to be... people think they're cute, so they're being sold instead of culled.
    in a mixed batch of 12 random ducklings I bought this spring I got 4 crested - two blue swedish, one cayuga and one rouen.
    twenty years ago, about the only cresteds you saw were pekin.

6. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    First time eggs are smaller lots of times - she might do some big double yolkers, or even slip one out without a shell! Her system's just getting started [​IMG] Congratulate her on Becoming A Woman. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by