Crested Unspecified Chickens

2Fast2Curious

Chirping
Jul 5, 2015
This is Spotty, our resident mad scientist/hatter. She's probably related to Shar - they came from the same farm at the same time.

This is Shar. She's a little harder to get a glamour shot of.

We're getting an australorp rooster today to protect from two legged, five-fingered predators, and it's got us thinking about what kind of chicks might result from these cluckers.

Anyone know how hereditary crests are? We'd love to see some more of their crowns.

What pretty chickens! Unfortunately, I can't answer your question about the genetic dominance of the crest. Unless someone on here has that knowledge, you'll just have to hatch a few eggs and find out! Darn, baby chickens. What a drag! (Note the sarcasm!
big_smile.png
)

What pretty chickens! Unfortunately, I can't answer your question about the genetic dominance of the crest. Unless someone on here has that knowledge, you'll just have to hatch a few eggs and find out! Darn, baby chickens. What a drag! (Note the sarcasm!
big_smile.png
)
Oh Katherine. This is the closest thing to Father Panic I'll ever have. xD

Two hours ago, laying in bed with my partner going, "WHAT DO WE DO IF THEY GO BROODY AS SOON AS WE GET 'EM?".

I guess we try to get our friends' coops up before snow falls, hah.

Yes the coop would be helpful! If they go broody right away, you'll find out about the crest's genetic dominance sooner rather than later!
smile.png

By becoming a member to the BYC Community you have tons of information at your fingertips. You and your partner won't be raising the chickens alone. We're all here to help! Good luck with your chickens and keep us posted! I believe I speak for the entire BYC Community in saying we love seeing pictures of baby chickens!

jumpy.gif

Sweet!

Pretty sure I'll end up posting some "guess their heritage" games at some point! We've got six (well, seven soon) hens, and I know there'll already be a months-long guessing game with the australorp hen and black-as-night Shar.

Man, I heard broody hens can hatch up to a dozen eggs at once, and our roosts have something like a sixteen max capacity. Well, I guess they liked bikes well enough in the beginning.

I'll keep you guys posted - should be an adventure!

Back
Top Bottom