1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crested Welsh Harlequin duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chunky duck, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Chunky duck

Chunky duck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Hi, My friend has hatched out her second lot of Welsh Harlequins and one of the babies is crested. The adult ducks came from me and I have not had anything crested in the 4 years I have had them. I get the Karki Campbell throwbacks but never anything like this. It is too cute. Fow whatever reason I am unable to upload photos but will try again later. Has anyone else ever had a crested duck that should not be?

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Its simply a recessive gene popping up.
    It is an undesirable trait in the breed so if you breed for show or to better type then I wouldn't use that one for breeding.

I've had crested pop up in my anconas which I don't EVER want! But it is a gene that can hide on you so unless you know which parent duck(s) are throwing it, it can be hard to weed out

3. Chunky duck

Chunky duck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    thank you, I thought as much. We are not breeding for showing or anything so not concerned, just curious. and it is quite cute! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by