Crevecoeur Hen in Trouble

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kelseyad, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kelseyad

kelseyad Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    We have a 5-6 month old Crevecoeur hen that started laying about a month ago. She stopped laying 1-2 weeks ago. We had a little snow and both our hens stopped for a few days, but only one started back. She has been lethargic the past two days, head hanging low, standing still. Poop is runny and white/clear with a tiny black blob in it. I can't tell how much she is eating, but she hasn't eaten in front of me, no pecking around, so my assumption is that she isn't. I have tried to feed her with a syringe of water and also buttermilk (per my grandmother and an old wives tale) and some bread, but she is completely uninterested. She is not making any noises - nothing by way of breathing or any clucking noises. I tried to feel around for an egg, but honestly, I have no idea what I am looking for. She did go up into the coop last night and also tonight. However, when you pick her up, she is not flapping or carrying on.Thoughts? Ideas? This loss will could be a heartbreaker.

2. kelseyad

Mar 7, 2012
    Update: She is rattled by nothing. Latest poop is very black. Help? Anyone?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Have you tried giving her a nice warm bath and probing the egg hole with a finger? I think I would check and see if she had an egg break inside her, especially since her poop is runny/clear. That's really all I can think of. Good luck!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Also, can you provide a picture of that very black poop? That doesn't sound too good...

5. kelseyad

Mar 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. kelseyad

Mar 7, 2012
    This is what she just did. Earlier today it was completely white with just a little circle of black. At least with the poop I know she has to be eating or drinking, right? She is sitting in our old dog crate quiet as a mouse and sitting down.

7. kelseyad

Mar 7, 2012
    Bump. Help? She is still alive this morning.

8. plc

plc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I would do as the person suggested last night, probe inside to see if an egg is stuck in there...

Good luck!

9. kelseyad

Mar 7, 2012
    She didn't make it. In the end she spit up all over herself several times. She never made any noises which is odd. Maybe someone can learn from this? I have yet to locate a vet that will look at chickens in our area.

10. Heritage Hens

Heritage Hens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Central Vermont area
    Kel, I am so sorry to hear this. I'm sure you tried to think of everything. Where are you located? Maybe someone can help with referrals to a bird-friendly vet. We have only one in our area. I have to drive almost an hour but its worth it.
    Here is a site that has excellent medical information. Google: The Classroom at the Coop. It is part of a university extension service. You can also try calling your state agriculture dept or extension service and if they can't help you, they will know who can.
    Of course your poor hen won't benefit from this but hopefully you will have other hens soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by