Crevecoeur or standard Polish?

Freaky Farm

In the Brooder
May 2, 2020
We are debating after much research... still...

Crevecoeur or standard Polish?

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• crevpol3.jpg
    crevpol3.jpg
    761.2 KB · Views: 112
  • crevpol4.jpg
    crevpol4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • crevpol.jpg
    crevpol.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 40
I was looking more into this and Black Polish seem to be quite rare in the US, so she may actually be a Crevecoeur with some extra Polish influence. Also, she seems to be missing neck feathers, possibly the remains of a beard. I know chickens sometimes pluck them out of each other, so it could be that!

Agreed! I was looking to see if any hatcheries carried them and none did off the bat. They're also not APA recognized which was surprising to me. I tried to see if they were recognized in other countries, but I wasn't able to easily access what varieties were recognized. Learning new stuff everyday!

I have Crevecoeurs, and they look like Crevecoeur pullets, to me. It's difficult to tell at the pullet stage. The Crevecoeurs are significantly bigger than the Polish, by a couple of pounds. In my experience, Polish are also more excitable birds than Crevecoeurs. Your birds seem quite calm, which also makes me think that they are Crevecoeurs.

Okay, I will say that in my experience you don't always see beards early on in Crevecoeurs.

But that's a good point. Crevecoeurs are mostly bearded, and Polish are mostly not. It depends on the purity of the stock. I had four (out of 189) 100%, 19th generation Crevecoeurs hatched last year who didn't develop beards at all. But they have not been crossed with Polish at all in 19 generations.

I am guessing that they didn't come directly from a breeder who could tell you which breed they are.

I wonder why black Polish would be rare. I do know that there seem to be more colors in Polish than there used to be. I used to see just white headed black Polish at shows, but recently the Buff-Laced Polish are more popular. I even have a few, myself. And Buff-Laced Polish actually are accepted in the standard as bearded and as non-bearded.

Back
Top Bottom