Crickets and mealworms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by F50myster, Jan 17, 2011.

1. F50myster

F50myster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    do all chickens like crickets? lol how much are they at most pet stores? ive noticed thata there are mini crickets (probably babies) and big ones which ones should i get for 2 month old bantams? also do pet stores sell meal worms? how much are those? thanks

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have no idea on prices - it has been years since I have purchased either.

Chickens love both crickets and mealworms - any size. [​IMG] My week old chicks get full sized mealworms - they play tug of war [​IMG]

3. F50myster

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    Finally a reply!!! after years of waiting!!!! lol jk [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

I know the feeling.

[​IMG]

5. irishfirefighter

irishfirefighter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    My chickens really enjoy crickets and night crawlers its stimulating for them because i just dump them in the middle of the yard and sit back and watch them chase the crickets around the yard [​IMG] If i were you i would forget about the pet store and go to a bait store and buy the crickets you can get about a hundred for sumwhere in the neighborhood of 5 bucks

6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    When my girls were about 2 wks old I started giving them bugs we would catch out of the yard, crickets, grasshoppers, grubs, worms etc... they just loved it. We called it insect football and it was a hoot, they never had a problem eating them at all. Just made sure they had grit available.

We even made chicken games out of it since they were going to be brooder raised w/o adult chickens to teach them, we would hide the grubs and worms in dirt, and crickets and hoppers in cut grass so they had to do a little hunting and scratching to find them. I don't know who had more fun the chicks or us.

1 person likes this.
  7. F50myster

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    Quote:thats a good idea! thanks

8. F50myster

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    Quote:how do i find a bait shop??

9. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    I'd check around, you can get mealworms online for a pretty fair price, 1000 for $25(including shipping) or so. Just stick them in the fridge and they should stay good for a while, or you could raise them easily.

10. Jasmine130

Jasmine130 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Redwood City, California
    I found mealworms at Petco. They cost about 12 bux for 500, and no shipping costs. My chooks ADORE them and my EE can spot the container a mile away. I haven't tried crickets yet, which are also available at Petco. I hear them chirping when I come to that section of the store....

We have BIG SLUGS in our yard, some the size of my thumb. The girls don't like them. Maybe they would enjoy them if I would chop them up. That's probably not going to happen I can tell ya right now!

OSH in our area also carries different kinds of worms and crickets (lady bugs too but I don't know about those for chooks), but Petco definitely keeps their insects in good supply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by