Crickets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kudzu, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Chickens are moody, if you get them out of their routine they retaliate, no eggs. We did a lot of work in and out of the run yesterday and today and they rewarded us with one egg. That’s 1 for 5, not good. Jumped in the truck and headed to the Supperette and bought $5.00 worth of crickets. She charged me 35 cents tax and I revolted. I said crickets fell under farm tax and she informed me nope, they groceries. She had me there and I forked over the 35 cents. I guess everyone has heard the expression " Duck on a June bug" well heck fire and save the matches, we had "Chickens on $5.35 worth of crickets" it was a sight to behold.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

3. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

[​IMG] I refuse to get my girls crickets!
    That is one thing they can get for themselves! [​IMG]

[​IMG] @ crickets being groceries

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  4. I'm1chickencuddler

I'm1chickencuddler Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    I am assuming the crickets are treats for your girls. Is that a good chicken treat? I am considering starting a mealworm farm for them to have bugs in the winter months. I want hem to be happy at all times.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm1chickencuddler :

I am assuming the crickets are treats for your girls. Is that a good chicken treat? I am considering starting a mealworm farm for them to have bugs in the winter months. I want hem to be happy at all times.

Great fun to watch chicks chase crickets. I happen to have backyard full of them each summer, so need to buy. Mealworms I do have to buy, but only rarely. My chickens free range, so they pretty much find their own bugs...and rodents...to eat. [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have 27 chickens roaming the farm & my garden is still being eaten by bugs. I'm gonna build a run completely around my garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by