Kudzu

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Chickens are moody, if you get them out of their routine they retaliate, no eggs. We did a lot of work in and out of the run yesterday and today and they rewarded us with one egg. That’s 1 for 5, not good. Jumped in the truck and headed to the Supperette and bought $5.00 worth of crickets. She charged me 35 cents tax and I revolted. I said crickets fell under farm tax and she informed me nope, they groceries. She had me there and I forked over the 35 cents. I guess everyone has heard the expression " Duck on a June bug" well heck fire and save the matches, we had "Chickens on $5.35 worth of crickets" it was a sight to behold.

I'm1chickencuddler

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 31, 2011
I am assuming the crickets are treats for your girls. Is that a good chicken treat? I am considering starting a mealworm farm for them to have bugs in the winter months. I want hem to be happy at all times.

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
12 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I'm1chickencuddler :

I am assuming the crickets are treats for your girls. Is that a good chicken treat? I am considering starting a mealworm farm for them to have bugs in the winter months. I want hem to be happy at all times.

Great fun to watch chicks chase crickets. I happen to have backyard full of them each summer, so need to buy. Mealworms I do have to buy, but only rarely. My chickens free range, so they pretty much find their own bugs...and rodents...to eat.

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I have 27 chickens roaming the farm & my garden is still being eaten by bugs. I'm gonna build a run completely around my garden.

Top Bottom