Crickets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ruchickn, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ruchickn

ruchickn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Can anyone tell me how to set traps or get crickets for my chicks

2. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    U can buy them at bait stores and most pet stores that sell reptiles,etc. Not so sure about trapping them.[​IMG]

3. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Get an old coffee can with it's lid. Use a heated knife to poke a hole in the lid. Cut a shape into the lid similar to that of a mc donalds cup. fill it 1/4 way with cornmeal and bury it outside in a dry and dark place. Bugs will fall in and not be able to crawl into it, but be unable to climb the slippery sides and get out. You can also get meal worms and other larvae this way.

WARNING! If the opening in the top can get bigger or equal to the size of a quarter, you are likely to trap mice and rats!

I would opt for the pet store, though. That way you know what you're getting.

4. ruchickn

Jun 12, 2011
    Thank You I Never Thought About That . But They Have To Catch Them Somehow To. I BOUGHT DRIED MEALWORWS FOR THEM THEY LOVE THEM

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah, pet stores usually sell both live and dried crickets, mealworms, and other critters. Lizards and reptiles will only eat live bugs because they sense food by heat and vibrations as well as the scents they give off while alive. So a pet store might have what you need. They usually keep them in the back room, so make sure to ask if you don't see them!

You and your chicks both have fun! [​IMG]

6. ruchickn

Jun 12, 2011
    Thank You For Advise I Thought Since There Were So Many Around At Night I Might Try To Catch Some :d

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by