1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crickets!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jsto, May 22, 2007.

1. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    So, I've had much amusement the past few days over my chicks going crazy over little bugs getting in their brooder. When I was in the pet shop picking up fish food, I was attracted to the smaller sized crickets, imagining what fun my girls would have chasing 5 or so around for a little treat, not to mention the fun I'd have watching [​IMG]

They'll be 10 days old tomorrow (my god, they grow up so fast), is this too soon? I remember reading on this forum that treats should not be given before, I think, the 2 week mark? But I'm unsure of that and cannot find the right thread to save my life. I'm no chicken expert by any means, but I can't see where a couple tiny crickets would cause a huge issue at this age. Although, I've been known to be wrong on more than one occassion. The weather has been so beautiful here that I was hoping to give them a bit of supervised outside play time this weekend (again, is this too soon?), where they would more than likely get their beaks into some bugs anyway.

Is grit necessary? Or is what is supplied in their starter feed sufficient? I figured that if it is, rather than setting out a container with it, I'd just offer a bit on my finger, so I can monitor how much each chick gets without the fear of an impacted crop.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you're going to let them go out and peck a bit, you should give them a little fine grit or some clean sand.

3. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    I'm planning on taking my chicks outside for the first time tomorrow (they'll be 9 days old) so I think you'll be fine with yours. After all, if they were with their mama hen, they'd already be on the grass from day one! I think I'd hold off a bit on the crickets, though. I'm dying to do the same thing, but I don't want to rush it. They're having enough fun with the moths they catch around their heat light! Crickets are much more, um, shall we say crunchy?--than moths. I'd be worried it'd be too much for them just now.

Then again, they'd probably be eating bugs with mama hen from day one, too. So I don't know! How's that for a completely useless answer? [​IMG] Maybe I should wait for answers from those who know more!

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Myself, I let chicks be chicks. If your chicks were to be hatched by the hen in the chicken yard, what would they be eating? Anything they could catch, right? Again myself, I would let them have the crickets. As for being outside, as long as it is warm and not windy, I say go for it. Just keep an eye on them and let them run in the grass.

5. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Quote:That's how I'm feeling, but since I have no experience, I worry that I'll completely muck things up. My gut just tells me that letting them have a bit of fun in the sun, running around eating what nature intended them to eat, is the most natural thing.

Iopele, we seem to be almost completely on par with our chicks, eh?! Want to be chick-buddies?! LOL.

As for the grit, would you say put a bit out on a small plate and just monitor them? Or maybe sprinkle a bit around where they're pecking in the grass? I don't want them to completely gorge on grit, but I'm also thinking that if outside with other yummy things to explore, they may not just sit and eat the grit alone. I really just haven't the slightest clue with this. Ahh, I'm hopeless [​IMG]

6. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    LOL, I'd love to be chick buddies! We'll be like those mothers who always bring out the baby pictures and compare who crawled first...

I don't know what to tell you on the grit. I've pretty much screwed up with it, giving them however much they wanted and then having poor Domino have such a rough time. I've read other people say they sprinkle a little over their food--maybe that'd work? If the chick crumbles have a little grit in them, maybe that's enough for their little bit of grass they might eat? I'm not sure, but I'm watching for the answer, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by