crimped oats for porridge

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BlackBart, Sep 19, 2010.

1. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Somebody asked me if you could use crimped oats/flattened oats, (the kind for horse feed) to make porridge for their chickens.
    I think you can but would have to cook it longer.

Anybody know the answer?
    It sure would be a cheaper way to go than buying human grade porridge oats.

2. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    sounds like irish oats. they are rolled thicker than old fashioned oats. I havent fed mine porrage on a regular basis, so I would love to hear what others say

3. karsan

karsan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2009
    My chickens get whole oat grains, raw of course. I am pretty sure your hens can eat oats made for horses. I do not understand why you want to make porridge for them.

4. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    some peopel cook the oats as a way to increase water consumption and to feed ther chooks something warm to eat. i don't know, I did wonder if they put something on those oat that would make them bad for ME to eat. I love thick oatmeal and have a grain mill to mill my own flour. anybody know?

oops hijacking sorry:)

5. Lydia&Andrew

Lydia&Andrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Cleethorpes
    I make porridge for my chickens every night and so far they love it. I give it to them in the evening before they go to bed. Just porridge oats (English) and some milk and it actually costs very little but then I only have four chickens so half a cup of oats is enough for them all.

6. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Nothing wrong with making porridge for the birds! Warm moist food morning and night was the way it was done in the days of old.

I serve moistened food morning and night myself. Sometimes rolled oats ($11 for 50lbs) at the feed store. But most of the time sprouted whole oats along with other grains..

ON

7. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    We make porridge and add flaxseed and BOSS to it.
    They love the porridge and by adding the flaxseed and BOSS into it we know, for sure, they are eating it.

We also save the wind fallen fruit and cut it up into chunks and freeze it. We add this to the porridge too. Really nice on a cold winter's morning.
    When they start to moult I add the powdered vitamins into the porridge as well. Just a extra boost.

I'll try the horse grade flatted oats and see what happens. I am sure the extra fiber will not hurt the chickens amazing digestive system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by