crippled baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LADYBUG1, May 28, 2010.

1. LADYBUG1

LADYBUG1 New Egg

May 28, 2010
    I was recently in a feed store and they were adjusting the heat lamps on the chicks. One of the lights fell and landed on one of the chicks and had her laid out flat. We don't know how long she was under the light but she was in bad shape. I took her out and held her to try and see if she would make it. She made it and I have had her in a seperate little cage for about a week. Only problem is she still can't stand on her feet. She can move them and wiggle her toes but one leg is still way out to the side. I can move it back and forth but she always extends it when I put her back in the cage. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to strengthen the leg. She is also eating and drinking fine. All suggestions welcome except to put her down. I tried some vitamins but she is still not using her left leg. I read where you could hobble a chick but I think she would just fall flat on her face. Her name is Miss Libby and she is trying hard to survive.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    I'd give her some vitamins. i think it polyvisol without iron put i would search for it here....i dont know much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by