Crippled Banty

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Groo, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Groo

Groo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Maine
    Hi, all. I have a crippled banty (19 weeks old). When she arrived at two days old, she had one leg that was a little lame but she could hobble around on the other one. As she has grown, the lame leg and foot are completely useless to her, in fact the leg is oftentimes out at an angle to her body, but it doesn't seem to pain her. Now that she's bigger, the other leg can't support her so she scoots around on her belly using her wings as best she can. It's a sad sight. She manages to eat and drink, however, but stays in the coop all day while the other 8 banties are outside playing.

My concern of the day is this: She sleeps in the pine shavings on the floor of the coop at night while the others now sleep on shelves or perches. She won't have anyone to keep her warm when the weather gets cold.

Do you have any thoughts for me on this? Should I just see what happens or do you think I should put her to sleep?

And to think I thought I wouldn't get attached to chickens!!!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    only u can make that decision but, allways that famous but, if she were mine i would put her down. she probably had splay leg as a baby and i dont know if it could be repaired now or not. something to look into but i am suprised she doesnt have breast sores. personaly i dont think she has quality of life the others do. good luck on ur decision

3. Groo

Groo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Maine
    Thank you for your kind response. Splay leg sounds just the way it looks now. Ah, so very sad is this business. I don't even like to kill spiders.

4. Groo

Groo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Maine
    Maybe I'll take her in to the vet and if he thinks it's hopeless, I'll have her put down.

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    no chicken vets here ,just do the best i can. this site saved my whole flock just recently, alot of help from novaAman. its great for me.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by