1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crippled Chick- Pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by angelbabyamy, Mar 28, 2011.

1. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    I hatched some eggs for a friend of a friend of my mother's. She said they were "Indian Game" chickens. I helped 3 chicks hatch because they had pipped on the wrong end and were not making progress and I was afraid they would die. 2 Chicks had already died after pipping. I put 34 eggs into lockdown and 27 hatched!
    One of the chicks I hatched was very crippled. One foot was way up around his head and his neck was curved. He could not lift his head or stand- one wing was a little off and his neck and head seemed very fat and squishy like there was extra fluid. He just laid there wiggling his legs and that was it. He seemed very alert with bright little eyes, so I told may husband I had to try to help- I couldn't just kill him. We pulled his leg down and bandaged it to the other leg. I put him back into the incubator. This morning he was almost upright and I took him out and held his feet down with my finger while he wobbled around getting his balance. Gave him some water and put him back. Checked a few hours later and he was standing! I've been helping this little chick all day and am very happy to announce he is hobbling around with some banty chicks I "had" to get while buying feed last week. I'm not giving this little chick to that lady- I hatched her eggs as a favor so he's mine!
    Meet Gimpy!! Anyone know what breed he is?

[​IMG]

This is what my little fellow looked like one day 1

[​IMG]

Here he is today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    If you have anymore leg/foot problems you can use the link in my signature to find treatments. It is a site created by another BYC member. I'm glad your little one is doing well. [​IMG]

3. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    Pretty sure he's a Barred rock, post your pic. on the BR thread, they will know for sure. but to me he looks like the BR chicks at TSC
    Kim

4. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    He doesnt really look like a barred rock to me. Mine all are huge from day one, and they have yellower beaks and a different body shape. And they usually have a white dot on the top of their heads. Also, this little guy looks like he has brown tones in his black.
    I am very impressed with your rehabilitation abilities!
    Also, use caution when google images searching for Indian Game Chicks. LMAO. When I was scrolling down it was like chickens, chickens, chickens, chickens, WHOA NOT A CHICKEN!!!!!

5. angelbabyamy

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    Quote:LOL![​IMG]
    I love chickens- I used to dress my pet RIR up in doll dresses when I was 10-11 years old. I spent a lot of time with them chickens! My mother even took her to the vet once, lol! People have always brought my mother the sick or orphaned birds- animals. I just have a genuine love for animals in general. My dream as a little girl was to be a vet.!
    The lady I am hatching these for is from the Honduras and doesn't speak very good English- I don't know how well she communicated or understood what the seller said these chickens were- I wonder if they are mutts? She brought me 6 dozen eggs and at day 8 I candled and 38 were not develping. I cracked open every one and nothing.

6. edgroger

edgroger Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Quote:hahaha you have better turn on the SafeSearch moderation. Its better to use the term baby chicks but sometimes we get the wrong results [​IMG]

@angelbabyamy: Good for you! [​IMG] That little chicks is coming along nicely. Hope it will grow up to a fine healthy adult [​IMG]

7. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    Could be a Barred Rock, could be a Jersey giant, could be a Cuckoo Marans. These all look alike in the early days.

Now, this is going to come across as heartless, but you need to know for future hatches that you're NEVER supposed to help a chick pip from its egg. It's simply nature's way of ensuring that the healthier, stronger chicks survive. If a chick cannot pip from its egg, it's because it's crippled (as you've learned), sick, or has developed badly. These chicks are fair game for the stronger chicks, who'll pick on and peck on the sicklier chicks, not allow it to eat or drink until they have (or not at all). Unless they are completely babied from the start and raised separately from the healthy, active flock, assisted chicks usually do not live into adulthood. It's hard not to help a baby out, I know, but unless you want a flock of sickly chickens (and you don't, not with predators around and definitely not to breed from) then you'll need to understand that it's best to let nature handle the pipping.

The other day, I got my hands on Great Britain's "The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens" and it said ill right to help a chick pip, with the understanding that that chick will need special assistance and attention for the duration of its life.

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Quote:I dont nessesarily agree with this I had one that pipped at the wrong end we helped him just enough to get going and he did the rest by himself and he is big and healthy. I have also helped a couple that shrink wrapped cause humidity was off and they are fine. Sometimes helping helps sometimes it doesnt. Sounds like yours is doing good. Looks like it may be Australorp except for the spot on the head. May be a mix. I had some BSL/RIR X that hatched out that color.

9. angelbabyamy

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    Quote:I was really questioning helping a chick hatch again after this chick hatched. I really thought that he couldn't be saved and we were going to have to kill him. I was pretty upset most of the day Saturday. I decided to try to fix his legs about 15 hours after he hatched. I don't mind babying him and helping. I have chickens because I love them. They are our pets with benefits. They free range so he will not be confined to a small space with others. We have 2 chicken houses with separate fenced areas. I am thinking of putting him with my Polish hens- I have 4 that are by themselves. They probably wouldn't be able to see him anyways, lol!

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:I mostly agree with you. I would make an exception for a chick having problems hatching due to human error in an "artificial" hatching situation such as low humidity or improper egg position.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by